Flood Insurance

What types of water damage are protected under my homeowners policy?

It is a common misconception that homeowners insurance will protect against flood damage. Unfortunately, many homeowners learn the hard way that this is not the case. While homeowners insurance may reimburse you for some water damage if it is internal, sudden, and accidental —such as when your heater or air conditioning unit malfunctions—most other flood costs are not covered. Therefore, it is much more prudent to ask the question, “What types of flood damage aren’t protected under my homeowners policy?”

Homeowners insurance won’t protect you against the following:

  • External flooding – Whether the flooding is caused by rising streams or rivers, storm surges, an overflowing coastline, or oversaturated ground, homeowners insurance will NOT cover the damage.
  • Backed up drains or sewers – Whether the clogged pipe is inside your home or from an external source, your homeowners insurance won’t protect against the damage; you’ll need supplemental coverage.

The agents at Karl Weidel Insurance understand that there is little overlap in protection between homeowners insurance and flood insurance. To best protect our clients, we recommend a comprehensive flood insurance policy that won’t leave you in financial straits, should a flood occur.  Especially for our clients whose properties are near water or in low-lying areas of New Jersey, having the right flood protection could mean the difference between minor inconvenience and catastrophic loss.

There are different categories of flood insurance policies, including standard flood insurance and preferred risk flood insurance. Additionally, there are separate types of specific coverage within each category, including:

  • Building coverage – Protects your building’s structure, foundation, electrical system, plumbing system and major appliances
  • Content coverage – Protects your personal belongings, electronics and portable appliances

To determine which type of flood insurance you need, contact one of the agents at Karl Weidel Insurance.

Remember that there is a waiting period before a flood insurance policy is considered active. So don’t wait until a hurricane is on its way to get the proper coverage. Call us today at 609-599-2588 or fill out the form on this page for more information.