Rental Property & Vacant Property Insurance

As a property owner, you are responsible for both your home and the homes of your tenants. Even if you rent out your own summer home during the winter months, your homeowners insurance won't cover you during that time. Having a comprehensive rental property policy—also known as landlord insurance—protects the home(s) that you own but don't live in. Landlord insurance provides coverage if:

  • You own one or more properties that are rented out
  • You are in the military and in the process of a permanent change of station (PCS) but haven't yet sold your home
  • You are moving but haven't yet sold your home

Rental property insurance can include these specific types of coverage:

  • Liability - This protects you against liability claims if you are found responsible for an accident or injury that occurs on your property.
  • Income replacement - If your property suffers damage that disqualifies it from being rented, you'll be reimbursed for the associated lost income until repairs are completed.
  • Comprehensive property coverage - This reimburses you for most physical property losses.
  • Personal injury - This coverage protects you against claims of slander, libel, wrongful eviction and wrongful entry.

If you own multiple properties, they may be bundled together under a master property policy. Likewise, insurance carriers also sometimes offer discounts if your rental property is relatively newer or recently renovated.

Every landlord's needs are different. Whether you rent out your vacation home to tenants a few months a year, or you own a 100-unit apartment complex, rental property insurance is imperative to your long-term financial protection.

To learn more about the types of coverage that you may need, contact Karl Weidel Insurance by calling 609-599-2588, or fill out the form on this page. We work with a wide array of carriers to find you the most comprehensive coverage at the lowest possible premium.